Thursday, October 29, 2009

George Muller and his Sermon at his wife's funeral

I am preparing a series of messages on 2 Peter. When studying 1:4 "By which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises". I'm at work and i miss my wife. As i was thinking about her, we had a report come over the weather alert radio about a tornado watch. I thought what would happen if a tornado hit my house and something happened to my wife. I then remembered one of the precious promises in Scripture that George Muller said in the sermon for his wife's funeral. Here is what he said:

The last portion of scripture which I read to my precious wife was this: “The Lord God is a sun and shield, the Lord will give grace and glory, no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Now, if we have believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, we have received grace, we are partakers of grace, and to all such he will give glory also. I said to myself, with regard to the latter part, “no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly”—I am in myself a poor worthless sinner, but I have been saved by the blood of Christ; and I do not live in sin, I walk uprightly before God. Therefore, if it is really good for me, my darling wife will be raised up again; sick as she is. God will restore her again. But if she is not restored again, then it would not be a good thing for me. And so my heart was at rest. I was satisfied with God. And all this springs, as I have often said before, from taking God at his word, believing what he says

What a promise is that! If we walk uprightly no good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. All Christians sin, but a real Christian who has been born of the Spirit does not walk in a lifestyle of sin. Therefore we can walk "uprightly". If we do that then scripture promises us that God will withhold no good thing from us. So, if a tornado hits our house and our wife and kids die, or a car wreck paralyzes us, or a rapist comes and kills our children, or if we lose all we have to a fire, or our life savings are swindled from us or lost in some kind of theft. Scripture promises us that it was a good thing, and that God withholds no good thing. When you are sick and dying of a horrible disease, or someone you love is and they walk uprightly in the footsteps of Christ, the word promises us that this illness is for our good...Even if it ends in a horrifically painful death. How do you fight sin? How do you fight unbelief? You fight sin and unbelief by believing the promises that God has laid our for us in scripture. Of all the promises in scripture this one is one of my favorites, and besides verses saying of the promises of what Christ did on the cross to redeem us to eternal life, this is the one I hold in my heart and quote to myself as my verse to fight. Believe the promises in scripture and use them to increase and strengthen your faith in Christ and his word. Take heart anyone of you who is suffering, Christ and his word can be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment